Reports To: Director, Technical Services
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Requirements: Please note this position is designed for candidates with a minimum of 5 years of experience in a laboratory and/or industrial environment. Candidates must have a proven track record on electrochemical systems design, development, testing and operation. Candidates who do not meet these criteria will not be considered.
About Axine: Axine (www.axinewater.com) is a leading cleantech company based in Vancouver, Canada. Axine has developed a breakthrough solution for treating toxic organics pollutants in industrial wastewater to address a multibillion-dollar global problem for pharmaceutical, chemical, electronics and other manufacturing industries.
Our technology is fully proven, we’ve secured early reference customers and we have a growing pipeline of multinational customers. We have an experienced leadership team with a track record of successfully building technology companies. We are entering a period of significant scale-up, growth and expansion and expanding our team.
The Role: Axine is seeking an experienced Electrochemist/Electrochemical Engineer to play a key role in the commercialization, development and optimization of Axine’s electrochemical technologies and systems. Reporting to and working closely with the Director, Technical Services this position will play a critical role in evaluating, analyzing, understanding, improving and optimizing key electrochemical attributes and phenomena central to Axine’s wastewater treatment processes. Axine is seeking an outstanding individual with a diverse, well-rounded set of skills and a proven track record executing and delivering similar types of assignments in a fast-moving and dynamic environment of a growing technology company.
- Generate fundamental and practical understanding of electrochemical parameters and assist in the design of electrochemical reactors
- Provide internal expertise on solutions to electrochemical problems, assist in troubleshooting performance issues, and suggest process improvements
- Develop electrochemical process characterization and diagnostic test methods
- Develop and validate electrochemical models for component and process performance
- Conduct experimental programs in bench, pilot or commercial scale to compliment work performed by other team members
- Contribute to product design by providing electrochemical design boundaries
- Provide direction, training and assistance to technical teams
- Contribute content and strategic direction to intellectual property management, including development of patents, published papers and trade secrets
- Deliver clear, effective summaries of results in document, presentation and verbal format to management, government grant agencies and customers as appropriate
- Perform other related duties as assigned by management
- Create, document and develop new intellectual property (IP) as per Axine procedures
Required Skills and Experience:
- Minimum B.Sc. in chemistry, chemical engineering or materials science/engineering with an emphasis in electrochemistry or electrochemical engineering. Experience in industrial electrolysis like water electrolyzers and/or chlor-alkali electrolyzers is desired
- 5+ years of experience in a lab or industrial R&D environment related to multi-disciplinary product and technology development
- Experience in AC and DC electrochemical testing methods including cyclic voltammetry, impedance spectroscopy, etc
- Strong knowledge of electrolysis components and electrocatalytic processes
- Hands-on individual with strong multi-disciplinary technical skills – demonstrated experience in diagnosing, repairing and solving system/equipment challenges
- Working knowledge of chemical safety (e.g. WHMIS 2015, chemical handling)
- Excellent critical thinking, analysis, and problem solving; ability to cooperate well with others; excellent written & verbal communication skills
- Self-motivated, proactive and flexible with ability to work with minimal supervision in field environment
- Must maintain a high level of integrity, maturity and competitive drive to be successful
- Effective time management and prioritization skills